Public Housing & Voucher Programs Requirements
- The deadline for reporting income changes is the 20th of the month. If the 20th falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday Holiday, the deadline for reporting income changes becomes the Friday before the 20th.
- A phone call does not meet the requirements of reporting a change of income that will result in a adjustment of your rent share.
- If you have an increase in income and fail to report this change in a timely manner you will be responsible to pay retroactive rent. This means you will be required to pay money back to the housing authority. Failure to do so may result in termination of rental assistance.
- Applicants – If you have a phone number and / or address change you may either come to the office, mail, e-mail or fax us the information for the appropriate changes. A phone call will not be accepted to make these changes. Any changes that you report to the Ottumwa Housing Authority regarding a phone or address change in the above listed manner will affect where you will receive documentation.
- Failing to report changes of physical or mailing address within 10 business days of the date of change may result in your household being removed from all waiting list.
Guest, Visitors, and Additional Adult(s):
- The Ottumwa Housing Authority Policy states that no guest or visitors other than those listed on the lease may reside or stay in the unit on a temporary basis and / or not exceeding three(3) consecutive days or two(2) weeks in a calendar year for all total visitors. This is to insure that the family does not violate Ottumwa Housing Authority Program Policy and any HUD Policy Regulations.
Utilization Assistance Program:
- When the family has been approved to be on the program the following rules must be upheld in order to continue successful participation. Use the assisted unit for residence by the family and be the family’s only residence; report any changes in family composition to Program Manger within 10 days; the family must not engage in any criminal activities; must not sublease the unit; the family must maintain all utilities accounts current as stated in the lease; the family must report temporary absence from the unit to Program Manager prior to departure.
- Engage in abuse of alcohol, drug-related, violent, or other criminal activity that threatens the health, safety, or right to peaceful enjoyment of other tenants and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.
All Buildings To Be Smokefree:
Effective June 1, 2018 all OHA public housing buildings and administrative office shall be smokefree. Smoking is prohibited in all living units, including any associated balconies, decks, or patios, and in the common areas of the buildings, including, but not limited to, community rooms, community bathrooms, lobbies, reception areas, hallways, laundry rooms, stairways, offices, and elevators.
Smoking on Grounds of Buildings:
Smoking is prohibited anywhere on the grounds adjoining public housing and office buildings, including entryways, patios, and yards or on the grounds adjoining public housing and office buildings, except in designated smoking areas located at least 25 feet from such buildings.